Sunday, May 10, 2009

Fun with Fruit and Plants

On Friday, the kids and I went with a group of friends from church to go pick strawberries. It was a great time. Noleigh and Hiram were excited about the ladybugs, especially. They, along with some friends, found one with a broken wing. They were determined to bring it home and "nurse" it back to health, but it fell into a strawberry plant and couldn't be found again. I also think the kids enjoyed eating the strawberries and running around with their friends much more than picking the strawberries. Also, Noleigh dressed for the occasion by wearing her strawberry shirt.







And, after years of clearing out, planting, replanting, our front flower bed is beginning to look cared for! I am excited about how it is looking-----we just need to get the mulch pit out of the yard and plant some grass. It is definatley a slow process!!




And I do not know my flowers, so if you could tell me what these are called, that would be great. I asked the gentleman at the nursery for heat tolerant, drought resistant plants and this is what he showed me, however I can't remember what he called them!
Also, this past weekend was Mother's Day and my "big" 30 birthday. It was such a fun weekend, and I am so grateful for all the fun and love that was shown and had! My weekend started on Thursday, when my friend Kelly and I had lunch together. It was great eating Mexican and then walking through the Marina downtown. On Friday, after strawberry picking, a group of us went out for Ladies Night Out and Carabbas. It was such a fun night. Katie's husband watched the kids for me and took them disc golfing (which they loved). It was great to be around friends and to laugh! Saturday we had a Primary activity for the kids in our ward, so they could make Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts, we also had a station where they started 72 hour kids. It was a great turnout- I hope the mom's and dad's enjoy their gifts.
That evening my friend Yo invited us to her home for dinner. Again, a very fun evening, full of laughter! After dinner, I had a few last minute preparations for Sunday and it ended up being later than I had anticipated to get to bed. I was feeling just exhausted and overhwhelmed by well, life. I was dreading my disaster of a bedroom and was missing my sweetheart, wishing he was here to share my thoughts with. Before I headed upstairs, I checked my email and there was a message from him wishing me a happy birthday and a clue to find a little something he had hidden for me before he left. I headed upstairs to search, and walked into a nice and tidy bedroom. While I had been working downstairs, my sweet daughter had cleaned my room for me. I was so touched by the thoughtfulness and kindness that was shown to me. I truly went to bed feeling overjoyed. I awoke to my son trying to fix a breakfast in bed for me. What a way to fall asleep and then to wake up! I was weepy all day because of those guys! After church my dad took the kids and I to dinner. We had a great time with him, though Hiram had had enough about 7:30.
Just as a side note- Hiram is hilarious. He is on a "No, fair" kick, which has me laughing so hard, I know I must be a terrible mom to not sympathize with all the injustices that befall him. It started this morning when we were getting shoes on for church. He had to wear his tie shoes (because I haven't bought church sandals yet for him) and Noleigh got to wear her sandals. Throughout sacarament I'd look over at him and he'd have his bottom lip pouty and would say "No, fair, Noleigh wore sandals." By the tenth time, I was just rolling. After church, we just snacked around, because I knew we would be eating early. We had dinner (he had ribs, baked apples, Coldstone Creamery ice cream too) and I was going to put him to bed when he realized he had been cheated out of his "dinner." He just couldn't take anymore and just cried, "No, fair we didn't even have dinner. No, fair we just had lunch!" I guess I forgot he goes by the what number the meal was instead of what time the meal was. He went to bed very angry that he had been deprived of all three of his meals! Oh, he makes me laugh!




2 comments:

Deborah said...

"Zippadeeay and Heidi-Ho it's Birthday time for you!"
Happy big 30th to you Corey! It sounds like you had a great birthday, one to remember. Despite Dan being gone, he did a heck of a job remembering you and helping you have a special day. That is so wonderful of him.

(I think the name of your plant is a begonia. I could be wrong, but I had the same plant in TN and it grew and spread and was amazing!)

Carrie Medford said...

Happy Birthday! I miss you! What sweet kids you have. I hope everything continues to go well for you while Dan is gone. How is the primary doing?