Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Where were you. . ."


For those who know me well, you know I love country music, I love a good story, and country music is about story telling. I also love country because it often can capture so well the depth of emotion of so many of our life experiences. With yesterday being the Eighth Anniversary of 9-11, this song just touches my heart. It was written and is performed by Alan Jackson:




I took the kids to the zoo yesterday, to enjoy their company, get out of the house, and well just enjoy the beauty of the day. It was enjoyable to spend that time looking at God's creatures and to be around such beautiful gardens. The kids and I had such a good time, I'm glad I bought the year pass, so we can go as often as we would like.







After the zoo, we headed to our local 9-11 Memorial Walk. It was a beautiful, cool evening and their was such a spirit of camaraderie. The young lady pictured below, was one of the responders in the weeks following 9-11. She went to New York to relieve the firefighters there and to help in whatever capacity she could. She spoke about her experience there, and it brought me to tears, all the sadness of that time came back to me. Of course, in my memory that day has always stood out, but I had forgotten about the firefighters and police officers and the search effort that followed for several weeks. Its amazing how our memories fade. It was good to be reminded of the sacrifices so many made to help in the recovery effort.



No comments: